UPSC Syllabus 2024 – IAS Prelims and Mains Syllabus PDF
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is India’s premier recruiting agency responsible for conducting some of the most prestigious examinations, including the Civil Services Examination (CSE). Each year, thousands of aspiring civil servants across the nation prepare rigorously for the IAS (Indian Administrative Services) exam, aiming to secure a coveted position in the Indian bureaucracy. As UPSC exams are known for their tough competition, a comprehensive understanding of the syllabus is essential. In this article, we’ll explore the UPSC syllabus for 2024, including both the IAS Prelims and Mains, and provide insights into where you can find the syllabus in PDF format.
UPSC CSE Examination Overview
Before diving into the specifics of the syllabus, let’s have a brief overview of the UPSC CSE examination. The Civil Services Examination consists of three stages:
- Preliminary Examination (IAS Prelims): This is an objective-type test with two papers – General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II (Civil Services Aptitude Test – CSAT). The purpose of the Prelims is to shortlist candidates for the Mains examination.
- Main Examination (IAS Mains): The Mains consists of nine papers, out of which two are qualifying papers, and the rest are evaluated for ranking. These papers include Essay, General Studies I to IV, and two optional subjects.
- Personality Test (Interview): Candidates who clear the Mains are called for a personality test, commonly referred to as the interview round.
UPSC Syllabus 2024
The UPSC syllabus for the Civil Services Examination is vast and covers a wide range of topics. Below, we’ll provide a brief overview of the syllabus for both the Prelims and Mains:
IAS Prelims Syllabus 2024
The Prelims examination consists of two papers:
- General Studies Paper I: This paper includes topics such as Indian History, Geography, Indian Polity, Economy, Science, and Current Affairs.
- General Studies Paper II (CSAT): This paper assesses candidates’ comprehension, interpersonal skills, communication, logical reasoning, and analytical ability.
IAS Mains Syllabus 2024
The Mains examination comprises nine papers, out of which Papers A and B are qualifying in nature, while the rest are evaluated for ranking. Here’s an overview of the Mains syllabus:
- Paper I – Essay: Candidates are required to write two essays on topics of general interest.
- Paper II – General Studies I: Topics include Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society.
- Paper III – General Studies II: Subjects covered are Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice, and International Relations.
- Paper IV – General Studies III: This paper deals with Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Environment, Security, and Disaster Management.
- Paper V – General Studies IV: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude are the primary focus areas.
- Papers VI and VII – Optional Subjects: Candidates choose two optional subjects from a list of approved subjects.
- Papers VIII and IX – Indian Language and English: These are qualifying papers.
Finding UPSC Syllabus PDF for 2024
The UPSC releases the official syllabus on its official website (www.upsc.gov.in). To access the UPSC syllabus for 2024 in PDF format, follow these steps:
- Visit the UPSC official website.
- Navigate to the “Examinations” section.
- Look for the “Civil Services Examination” link and click on it.
- You’ll find a dedicated page for the Civil Services Examination, where you can access the syllabus for both Prelims and Mains in PDF format.
TO MORE DETAIL – CHECK THIS
FOLLOW US TO MORE DETAIL
The UPSC syllabus for 2024 is your roadmap to success in the Civil Services Examination. Understanding the syllabus thoroughly and using it as a guide for your preparation is crucial. Regularly visiting the UPSC official website for updates and downloading the syllabus in PDF format can be immensely helpful in your journey to becoming an IAS officer. Good luck with your UPSC CSE 2024 preparations!
FAQ – UPSC Syllabus 2024 – IAS Prelims and Mains Syllabus PDF
What is UPSC?
UPSC stands for the Union Public Service Commission. It is India’s central recruiting agency responsible for conducting various prestigious examinations, including the Civil Services Examination (CSE), commonly known as the IAS exam.
What is the UPSC Syllabus for 2024?
The UPSC syllabus for 2024 includes the topics and subjects that candidates need to study for the IAS Preliminary Examination (Prelims) and the IAS Main Examination (Mains). The syllabus encompasses a wide range of subjects such as History, Geography, Polity, Economy, Environment, Ethics, and more.
How can I access the UPSC Syllabus for 2024 in PDF format?
To access the UPSC syllabus for 2024 in PDF format, follow these steps:
* Visit the official UPSC website (www.upsc.gov.in).
* Navigate to the “Examinations” section.
* Find and click on the “Civil Services Examination” link.
* On the dedicated Civil Services Examination page, you can download the syllabus for both Prelims and Mains in PDF format.
What are the stages of the UPSC Civil Services Examination?
The UPSC Civil Services Examination consists of three stages:
* Preliminary Examination (IAS Prelims)
* Main Examination (IAS Mains)
* Personality Test (Interview)
What is the purpose of the IAS Preliminary Examination (IAS Prelims)?
The IAS Preliminary Examination is the first stage of the UPSC CSE. It serves as a screening test to shortlist candidates for the Main Examination. The Prelims consist of two papers: General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II (CSAT).
How many papers are there in the IAS Mains Examination (IAS Mains)?
The IAS Mains Examination consists of nine papers in total. Out of these, Papers A and B are qualifying in nature, and the rest are evaluated for ranking. These papers cover various subjects including Essay, General Studies, and optional subjects.
Can I choose any optional subjects for the IAS Mains Examination?
No, candidates can choose optional subjects for the IAS Mains Examination from a list of approved subjects provided by UPSC. The list of optional subjects can change from year to year, so it’s essential to refer to the official notification for the most updated information.
Where can I find official updates regarding the UPSC Civil Services Examination?
To stay updated on all official announcements and notifications related to the UPSC Civil Services Examination, regularly check the UPSC official website (www.upsc.gov.in). UPSC publishes all relevant information, including exam dates, application procedures, and syllabus updates, on their website.
Is it necessary to follow the UPSC syllabus strictly, or can I refer to additional study materials?
While the UPSC syllabus provides a comprehensive guideline for your preparation, candidates often refer to additional study materials, textbooks, and coaching resources to enhance their knowledge. However, it is crucial to ensure that any additional material aligns with the UPSC syllabus to avoid wasting time on irrelevant topics.
When should I start preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Examination for 2024?
UPSC exam preparation typically requires several months of dedicated study and practice. Many aspirants start their preparation a year or more before the exam date. Starting early allows you to cover the vast syllabus thoroughly and gives you ample time for revisions and practice tests.